Funding for Undergraduate Research

While College students can find funds to support their research, some undergraduates decide to start out by pursuing unfunded research on a voluntary basis. Many faculty members anticipate needing help with their research and might advertise unpaid or paid Research Assistant positions through their department/research center's listserv or via other on-campus job search platforms. 

If your research supports the larger project of a faculty-member, they might be able to provide you with a small stipend from their own funds. Be sure to discuss any work-study eligibility if relevant. Make sure you also speak with your own network, especially faculty who work in your discipline, because they may be able to identify funding sources that you may not have considered.

Students should also:

Note: UChicago students also have access to Proquest's PIVOT, a comprehensive database of research opportunities and grants for faculty, staff, and students. In order to set up an account and begin your search, visit PIVOT. You will need to create a PIVOT login, and then conduct an advanced search with ‘Undergraduate’ specified in the ‘Requirements’ field. (Note: if looking for funds from outside UChicago, start early, as these opportunities may have deadlines far in advance of the anticipated award-date.)