Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Will the Symposium take place this year?
Yes, the 2021 University of Chicago Symposium will take place virtually through an online research poster session platform.
- What kind of undergraduate research is presented at the Symposium?
We invite research projects from all disciplines and encourage students to submit creative work for the Symposium as long as it has an original, scholarly aspect to it. For all submissions, students must be working under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
- Who will attend the Symposium?
The Symposium will be online and will be open to the public that register for the event. The event may draw a range of UChicago and non-UChicago attendees.
- Can I apply to present research I conducted under a faculty not from UChicago?
Yes. You are welcome to apply if you are a UChicago College student or recent alum, regardless of where you actually performed your research. If you did your research project at another academic institution or research institute, you will need to get the abstract approved by the faculty mentor you worked with there.
- I am still in the early stages of my research. Can I still apply to present?
Yes. You do not need to have completed your research to be considered. Many students present research that is ongoing. It is perfectly acceptable to share preliminary results or anticipated findings at the Symposium.
- Can I apply for more than one presentation?
You can only apply for one presentation as the primary student presenter. You are welcome to apply for an individual or group presentation as the primary presenter and also to present with a small group as a group member/co-presenter.
- Is the Symposium open to artists?
Yes! Artists can apply to present their creative work. We welcome inclusion and presentations of a slide (.pdf) of research and creative inquiry in place of a traditional research poster file (.pdf).
- Will there be prizes given to student presenters?
No, the Undergraduate Research Symposium will not offer awards or prizes for presenters. All student presenters will be recognized and celebrated equally for their participation.
- Do I still need to submit a Symposium application if I am a CCRF-funded undergraduate research scholar required to participate?
Yes, you DO NEED to submit a Symposium presenter application.
Check back soon for more event information and FAQs! You may contact the CCRF with any additional Symposium inquiries at: email@example.com.