Current College students and recent alum who are interested in applying to the British Marshall, Mitchell or Rhodes Scholarships are required to participate fully in the campus application process in order to be considered for nomination. The complete schedule and process is detailed on the application page.
Before reviewing the application process, Interested students should be aware of the eligibility and selection criteria for these prestigious awards. Although the specific criteria vary from program to program, in general, a competitive applicant for these awards should:
- Demonstrate a high esteem for scholarship;
- Provide evidence of sustatined engagement in activies that prove ambition for others and concern with significant local/national/global issues including advocacy, public service, undergraduate research, and activitities that suggest a potential for leadership (RSOs are not evidence of these types of activities unless a candidate can prove that an RSO has national/global reach beyond this campus and its own students);
- Be able to present a compelling and well-constructed case for their academic program of choice in the UK or Ireland;
- Have high academic achievement (a minimum 3.7 cumulative GPA at time of campus application deadline);
- Be able to articulate their personal goals and a clear vision for their academic and professional future;
- Be able to secure four letters of recommendation from credible individuals (e.g. faculty members at any rank or research supervisors, co-curricular or external professionals who can attest to leadership or service; graduate students of any type, post-docs, career and academic advisors, and peers are NOT acceptable letter writers for these types of awards).
About the Marshall, Mitchell, and Rhodes Scholarship Programs
Marshall Scholarships fund one or two to three years of study in any field, leading to the receipt of a UK university degree. The scholarship includes tuition, fees, travel expenses and a stipend. It may be used at any university in the United Kingdom at either the undergraduate or graduate level. Please visit the Marshall Scholarship website to learn more about the program: https://www.marshallscholarship.org/. Awards approximately 40 scholarships to US citizens who are current undergraduates or recent graduates (please note age restrictions detailed on website).
George J. Mitchell Scholarships support one year of study at one of nine universities in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The award covers tuition and room charges, and provides a stipend plus an allowance for travel in Ireland, the United Kingdom and Europe. Please visit the Mitchell Scholarship website to learn more about the program: https://www.us-irelandalliance.org/mitchellscholarship. Awards approximately 15-20 scholarships to US citizens who are current undergraduates or recent graduates (please note age restrictions detailed on website).
Rhodes Scholarships fund two years of post-baccalaureate study in any field at the University of Oxford. The scholarship includes tuition, fees, travel, and a stipend. Thirty-two American Rhodes Scholars are chosen annually from the United States. Students from a range of countries besides the United States are also eligible to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship - please visit the Rhodes House site for an up-to-date list of eligible countries. Currently, citizens from the following countries are elgible for the Rhodes: Australia, Bermuda, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Swaziland), Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine (SJLP), United Arab Emirates, West Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Current students and recent alumni must be endorsed by the University in order to apply for the Marshall, Mitchell and/or Rhodes Scholarship programs. Please carefully review the campus endorsement information, application and timeline information available here: http://ccrf.uchicago.edu/national-fellowships/2020-marshall-mitchell-and-rhodes-campus-endorsement-process