Nicholson Undergraduate Research Grant
The Nicholson Center for British Studies is pleased to announce a new grant opportunity for undergraduate BA thesis research.
University of Chicago undergraduate students from the Humanities and Social Sciences Divisions and the New Collegiate Division are eligible. Students should be completing their degree between June 2019 and December 2020. Applicants need not have the British Isles themselves as the subject of their research. The Center will also support work on Africa, South Asia, East Asia, North America, the Middle East, or the West Indies that requires substantial research in the British Isles. Research projects on Ireland also meet our requirements. Priority will be given to applicants who can demonstrate the need to travel to archives to procure copies of archival materials, but other research expenses will also be considered.
The Nicholson Center is happy to support a senior project proposed by any Humanities, Social Sciences, or New Collegiate Division provided that the student requires research – whether in the form of archival, visual, or oral materials – to complete his/her senior thesis. Applicants will be expected to demonstrate their need for additional research funding in order to complete their senior project.
Applications must be submitted no later than by the day of the deadline to Jeanne Fitzsimmons, Classics Building, Room 112 (email@example.com). Please note that all applications must meet the criteria listed below.
**Applicants should submit an electronic copy of the application.**
**Electronic copies should be e-mailed as a single Word or PDF attachment (no larger than 5MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org.**
The application materials include:
- Nicholson Undergraduate Research Grant Cover Sheet
- Letter of recommendation from a University of Chicago faculty member, lecturer or academic advisor who is familiar with the student's project (hard copy or electronic copy sent directly to email@example.com). This recommendation can be informal and in the form of an email sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2-page statement of purpose, which includes a description of the unique materials to be examined or other research needs.
- An estimate of the funds needed to complete the project
- Unofficial Transcript (hard copy or PDF)