Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Space Scholars Program
The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Scholars Program offers stipend-paid summer internship opportunities to undergraduate and graduate level university students pursuing STEM degrees, as well as upper-level high school students; select locations also offer internships to university students pursuing education-related degrees and K-12 professional educators. The selected interns gain valuable hands-on experiences working with full-time AFRL scientists and engineers on cutting-edge research and technology and are able to contribute to unique, research-based projects. Graduate interns are able to collaborate with AFRL on current research and incorporate the research into their graduate work.
- Exciting research topics
- Technical training
- Mentorship from experienced AFRL scientists and engineers
- Opportunities to tour AFRL laboratories
- Networking through social events
- Competitive stipend rates
Minimum Qualifications and/or Eligibility Requirements:
All applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is highly encouraged for all applicants
- Must be a US Citizen; program is not open to non-Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Must be enrolled or accepted at an educational institution taking at least half-time academic course load leading to a degree or certificate for the semester immediately preceding internship session. Note: This does not apply to professional educators.
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid driver’s license
- Must be available to work full-time (40 hours per week) for summer internship positions
- Must be willing to temporarily relocate to physical work location
- Must be able to take personal responsibility for arranging transportation to and from worksite each day. Note: Scholars should not rely on transportation from anyone who does not already have base access. Program administration will not be responsible for making additional arrangements on a scholar’s behalf to provide suitable transportation.
- Must be able to pass a background check, potentially resulting in a Secret Security Clearance
To expedite the application process, please have the following ready when you begin your application:
- Current contact information
- An updated resumé
- Unofficial transcripts from all schools you have attended
- Recommended: Contact the individual(s) whom you would like to write your letter of recommendation, letting them know an email request will come at a later date.
Deadline varies by Location. Check website for more information https://afrlscholars.usra.edu/locations/