Language Study Resources

The College Center for Research and Fellowships encourages undergraduate students of any major to study a foreign language to facilitate their academic, professional, and personal goals. Foreign language study will allow you to enrich your experience at the University of Chicago, whether through international research, fellowships, study abroad, community service, or internships. Improving your language skills will also broaden your post-graduate opportunities, as well as help you appreciate cultural diversity and participate more effectively in a multicultural world.

We invite you to explore the following opportunities and resources:

  • Classroom Language Study: In a typical year, the University of Chicago offers over 50 languages
  • Heritage Language Program: At UChicago, you can enroll in heritage language courses
  • CourseShare: The CourseShare initiative enables students to enroll in additional courses, particularly the least commonly taught languages. 
  • National Scholarships: Consider applying for the Boren ScholarshipCritical Language Scholarship, and Gilman Scholarship, among other opportunities
  • Study Abroad: Several UChicago study abroad programs include foreign language study. 
  • Foreign Language Acquisition Grants: UChicago offers grants of $5,000 to defray the costs of intermediate or advanced language study abroad. 
  • The University of Chicago Library: You are encouraged to contact subject specialists in area studies to help you locate sources for language self-study.
  • Area Studies Departments and Centers: Check departments and centers for additional language study grants, informal gatherings, and lectures. 
  • Language and Culture Tables: The International House offers weekly informal gatherings in which UChicago students and scholars meet to speak in a foreign language. 
  • Cultural Student Organizations: Many UChicago Recognized Student Organizations organize regular group events for students interested in different cultures, languages, and countries.
  • Foreign Language Proficiency: The Office of Language Assessment offers proficiency assessments and certifications. 
  • Teaching English as an Additional Language (TEAL):  The English Language Institute offers TEAL course on a regular basis.