Yenching Academy Scholars Program
The Yenching Academy of Peking University scholars program offers a one-year master’s degree (in English) designed to prepare an elite class of future leaders to meet the challenges of the 21st century global landscape. Yenching Scholars receive a full tuition scholarship, accommodation in the residential college, and a stipend to cover living expenses.
Applicants will choose from one of six concentrations:
- Literature and Culture
- History and Archaeology
- Philosophy and Religion
- Public Policy and International Relations
- Economics and Management
Yenching Scholars are also deeply immersed into Chinese culture through cultural excursions throughout various parts of China and an intensive Chinese language program taken along within their degree studies. Participants will also have opportunities for internships and intensive field studies.
University Endorsement Deadline: Monday, October 29, 2018
Final Submission Deadline if a campus nominee: Friday, December 7, 2018
Yenching Academy Scholars will exhibit the following qualities and characteristics:
- Outstanding academic record - 3.65 GPA or higher
- Evident committment to and preparation for rigorous graduate studies
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Evidence of co- and extra-curricular engagement
- Active community engagement and a strong sense of social responsibility
- Strong moral character
- Demonstrated interest in exploring diverse cultures, in particular about China and the Asia Pacific region
- Demonstrated English Proficiency (international students)
Application Process: Students must be nominated by the University of Chicago
1) Campus Application Process (UChicago is a partner university) submitted by the stated campus deadline.
A campus nomination application consists of the following:
- Formal Application forms (request forms directly from Nicholas Morris - email@example.com). You will submit the applicant form with your campus application. Your letters writers must also complete/submit their forms and send with their letters of recommendation.
- An unofficial transcript
- Two academic letters of recommendation – submitted directly to Nicholas Morris by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. These letters should come from faculty - teaching or research. If you have been working after graduation, it may be appropriate to include one letter from a professional supervisor. Please do not request letters from academic advisors, career advancement advisors, or graduate students. If you request letters from internship coordinators, please be selective. They should know you very well.
- A 750-word personal statement (essay)
- A complete CV (Academic resume) detailing activities from your freshman year forward. Please do not include high-school activities.
2) If selected as a University of Chicago nominee, all final materials must be submitted to Nicholas Morris by the stated national deadline.
You are strongly encouraged to make an appointment to speak with Nicholas Morris about your interest in Yenching and further guidance on applying for institutional nomination.
For full information as to the program, visit http://yenchingacademy.org/.