Among the most competitive scholarship opportunities, the Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell Scholarships require a significant investment in time and attention on the part of the applicant. Students who intend to apply to these programs must first be endorsed by the University. To receive this endorsement, one must meet the following deadlines and adhere to the following instructions.
Campus Application Deadline: May 9th, 2019 (Materials submitted after this date will not be considered).
To receive institutional endorsement from the University of Chicago, which is mandatory for all students, including alumni and Canadian Rhodes candidates, intending to apply for the Rhodes, applicants must complete the following steps:
- During Winter and early Spring Quarter, you should meet with the Director of the Center for College Research and Fellowships, Nichole Fazio, to discuss your proposed programs, award interests, and application processes.
- By May 6, 2019: Submit a complete final campus application, including four letters of recommendation. This application will form the basis of your institutional endorsement and be used during an interview endorsement, should you be invited.
- By early June: Interview with the faculty endorsement committee.
- If endorsed, work from June - September: revise essay drafts and complete the application(s).
Campus endorsement application instructions:
You must complete the ONLINE APPLICATION HERE. Note the campus application will require the following additional items:
- Four (4) letters of recommendation (3 of the 4 should be academic-focused letters from teaching faculty and/or research mentors; if you are involved in significant co- or extra-curricular activities or post-graduate activities, including employment, a 4th letter focused on your leadership/service/working life is acceptable. These will still need to be in-depth letters from indviduals who know you well). The letters should be sent separately via campus mail or email to Nichole Fazio, email@example.com by the stated campus deadline. NB: These letters should be obtained from faculty. They do not have to be tenured, but should know you in a teaching or research capacity. You should not request letters from graduate students, preceptors, or post-docs. Please have your letters sent on letterhead, signed, and addressed to 'The UChicago Endorsement Committee'.
- Complete online application. In addition to the short answers provided in the online application, you will upload your personal statement and a two-three page CV (acdemic resume) with a complete list of honors, awards, and accomplishments since beginning college, as well as significant co- and extra- curricular activities. Include any/all relevant undergraduate research experiences and publications (including pending), language proficiencies and travel as relevant.
- Unofficial transcripts uploaded directly in your online application. Please do not upload screen shots.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to consult with Nichole Fazio regarding the campus application and required written work in advance of the stated campus deadline. You can submit questions by email and/or set up an appointment. Appointments can be made by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an international candidate for the Rhodes Scholarship, you are encouraged to contact Nichole Fazio to establish a working timeline based on your individual deadlines (September - October). For details on the Rhodes for students from eligible countries, visit: http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/about/rhodes-countries. With the exception of Canadian Rhodes candidates (see above), international Rhodes candidates are not required to participate in a formal endorsement process but are expected to meet with CCSA staff for general guidance.
Complete campus endorsement applications must be submitted on May 6th, 2019. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered. Alumni of the College must participate in the campus process and deadlines detailed above in order to be considered for endorsement. Students may not apply directly to any of these award programs.