Research Abstract Guidelines/Information:
- Abstracts must be no longer than 300 words in length;
- Abstracts should be one paragraph and not include any section headers, references, or footnotes;
- Your abstract should be written for a general well-educated audience and should be accessible to those outside your research area and field;
- You will need to upload your research project abstract (.doc) in the application;
- Your abstract will be published in the Symposium Proceedings so you should submit a high quality version approved by your faculty mentor. Please work with your faculty and research mentors on your research abstract and title prior to submission. You should also discuss any intellectual property concerns with your research mentor(s).
Please use the Undergraduate Research Symposium abstract template found HERE.
An abstract is a summary of your research usually presented in skeletal form, which concentrates on the essentials of a larger idea or claim. Your abstract should include sufficient information for reviewers to judge the nature and significance of your research, the adequacy of the methodology employed, and the nature of the results and/or progress to date. We strongly recommend that you attend an abstract writing webinar to help you get started.
If you would like to cite foreign-language material in your abstract, please also include a translation into English. In your abstract, please do not use non-Roman scripts; instead, follow the Romanization tables provided by the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/roman.html
Abstract Writing Webinars
Abstract Writing Webinars are tailored to students who are applying to present at the 2021 University of Chicago Undergraduate Research Symposium, but the webinar guidance is transferrable and helpful for general research abstract writing.
The abstract writing webinar inlcudes information on:
- What exactly is an abstract?
- How do I write one?
- What information to include?
- What information do I exclude?
Register (in advance) for an upcoming CCRF Symposium Series: Abstract Writing Webinar via zoom:
CCRF Symposium Series: Research Abstract Writing Webinar
Led by Tracy Nyerges, Assistant Director for Undergraduate Research, College Center for Research and Fellowships
This Symposium Series Webinar provides guidance on how to write an effective research abstract for the University of Chicago Undergraduate Research Symposium. We will discuss the characteristics and key components of a research abstract written for a general educated audience. We will share abstract writing resources and relevant details about the Undergraduate Research Symposium abstract requirements. This webinar is tailored to students who are applying to present at the virtual 2021 University of Chicago Undergraduate Research Symposium, but the information is transferrable and helpful for research abstract writing in general.
- Friday, March 5: 12:30-1:30pm
- Wednesday, March 10: 3:30-4:30pm