Kummer Innovation and Entrepreneurship Doctoral Fellows Program
The Kummer Innovation and Entrepreneurship Doctoral Fellows Program (Kummer I&E Doctoral Fellows) is one of several new initiatives established through a generous gift of $300 million from June and Fred Kummer, longtime benefactors of Missouri S&T. This program is designed to help Missouri S&T realize Mr. and Mrs. Kummer’s desire to encourage innovative-minded students to pursue doctoral degrees to strengthen applied research, technological innovation, and economic development in the region, state and nation.
The Kummer I&E Doctoral Fellows Program is limited to no more than 100 scholars each year. The program is open to domestic and international students. Each I&E fellow will receive a 12-month stipend and tuition remission for required course work for up to four years.
Deadline: Friday, February 19, 2021
The Kummer I&E Doctoral Fellows Program is open to:
- Domestic and international full-time Ph.D. students admitted to a STEM degree program starting the Fall 21 semester.
- Preference will be given to those with a master’s degree
The deadline for applying is February 19. All students who have applied for the Kummer I&E Doctoral Fellows program will be reviewed for admission (if not already admitted). At the time of review, faculty will nominate students who have applied to become a fellow. The nominations will be submitted to the Kummer I&E Doctoral Fellows Program Selection Committee for final review and selection to the program. Students should expect to receive a decision on their acceptance to the program by mid March. Nominees may be invited to a virtual interview with the selection committee and will be notified of their interview date/time by early March.
Complete a Kummer I&E doctoral fellowship application
The application includes:
- A personal statement that should be no more than 1,000-1,500 words, and must address the following:
- The academic and professional choices you have made to date and why
- How you envision yourself in a leadership role – expanding human knowledge and/or benefiting society as a whole
- Descriptions of previous research experiences, if any
- How you match the following Kummer I&E Doctoral Fellow profile
Kummer I&E Doctoral Fellow Profile
The ideal candidate should possess remarkable motivation and passion for their field of study, with a desire to make significant contributions to their profession and to society. A candidate also should recognize the benefits of innovation and entrepreneurial spirit to society, and will consider opportunities to commercialize their research upon graduation. In addition to a strong academic record, the candidate should possess leadership, communication, and decision-making skills, and demonstrate the attributes of successful graduate researchers, including intellectual curiosity, tenacity, energy, and a collaborative mindset.
- Student Resume. In addition to the academic vita, students should highlight leadership experiences and significant achievements from work, school, volunteer projects and extracurricular activities, including a list of honors and awards.
- A Letter of Recommendation. The letter should address how the candidate fits the Kummer I&E Fellow Profile, with a particular emphasis on the candidate’s motivation, passion and desire to make significant contributions to their chosen profession and to society, and the desirable attributes of a successful graduate researcher.
Please note that the selection committee reserves the right to request additional information as needed.