Department of Defense Science, Math and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program
The Science, Mathematics And Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program is an opportunity for students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines to receive a full scholarship and be gainfully employed by the Department of Defense (DoD) upon degree completion.
Applicants MUST be pursuing a technical degree in one of the 19 STEM disciplines listed below. SMART will not fund any management or non-technical degrees.
5:00 PM EST (Application will reopen August 1, 2021): Wednesday, December 1, 2021
The SMART application is open August through December of every year, with awards being granted the following spring. Review the below requirements to ensure you are eligible to apply for this life-changing opportunity.
All applicants must be:
- a citizen of the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or United Kingdom at time of application,
- 18 years of age or older as of August 1, 2021
- able to complete at least one summer internships at a DoD facility,
- requesting at least 1.5 years of degree funding prior to graduation (which starts at the program start date),
- willing to accept post-graduation employment with the DoD,
- a student in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale,
- pursuing a technical undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the 21 STEM disciplines listed below,
- able to produce a fall 2020 college transcript from an ABET accredited program at a regionally accredited US college or university, OR be pursuing a graduate degree at a regionally accredited US college or university.
Active duty military members who wish to apply for the SMART Scholarship must be separated or on terminal leave on or before August 1, 2021 to be eligible. Reserve and National Guard members are eligible to apply. Current ROTC participants with a future service commitment are not eligible to apply
The application window opens August through December each year. All applicants are required to submit applications online by December 1 at 5:00 PM EST. All supporting materials, including references, must be received by December 1 at 5:00 PM EST. Traditionally, applicants are notified of their award in the spring. Application materials are not returned to applicants. The following information may be useful in planning and preparing your application.