DAAD Young Ambassadors Program
The DAAD Young Ambassadors Program is a unique and exciting two-semester volunteer opportunity for undergraduate students from North America that recently studied abroad in Germany and promote study in Germany at their home universities with help from DAAD.
DAAD expects to fund about 30 Young Ambassador positions per academic year.
Application Deadline (postmarked): Monday, May 10, 2021
During the academic year, DAAD Young Ambassadors promote study and research in Germany by working with their universities' study abroad offices, volunteering at study abroad fairs, organizing classroom visits, info sessions, fun events, and answering their fellow students’ questions. DAAD provides Young Ambassadors with brochures, giveaways, and funding for events. Along with this, a profile including contact information for each Young Ambassador is featured on the DAAD New York Website. DAAD Young Ambassadors are required to submit at least two event reports during the academic year. While the DAAD Young Ambassadors Program is a volunteer opportunity, all event reports are included in a raffle drawing at the end of the academic year; prizes ranging from $20 to $200 awarded in recognition of the volunteer’s time and commitment.
Young Ambassadors do not necessarily have to be alumni of DAAD grant programs. We will give special attention to nominations from study abroad offices, but will also accept applications directly from students who wish to apply on their own and provide contact information for a reference.
You are eligible for the program if you…
- are an undergraduate student at a college or university in the US or Canada
- have recently studied or done research at a German university or interned in Germany for a minimum of 2 months
- are available to promote study and research in Germany on your campus during the entire academic year
- can speak intelligently and enthusiastically about your experiences in Germany in front of groups
- are willing to represent DAAD at a study abroad fair and to organize at least one event per semester
- are available for the training session in New York City in the August before academic year of service as Young Ambassador
In order to apply, please fill out the application form and send it to DAAD New York (see below).
If you are nominated by your study abroad office, please submit application and nomination materials together.
All parts of the application must be typed and submitted in duplicate: one original hard copy and one electronic (PDF/Word) document.
Please email the PDF/Word document to YA@daad.org and send original to
DAAD New York
Young Ambassadors Program
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Note: Application forms for 2020/21 are available for download in the box on the program website.