Congressional Black Caucus Spouses Performing Arts Scholarship
CBC Spouses Performing Arts Scholarship:
This scholarship was established in 2000, in honor of the late Curtis Mayfield to ensure that African American or Black students pursuing a degree in the performing arts receive financial assistance. Performing arts include theater, drama, comedy, music, dance, opera, marching bands, etc.
Deadline: Friday, April 30, 2021
- U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident
- Currently/planning to be enrolled in the upcoming academic year as a full-time undergraduate student (students pursuing a graduate degree in the fall are ineligible)
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Pursuing a major and career in a performing art
- Exhibit leadership ability and participate in community service activities
- Selected applicants will be qualified African-American or black students
- Must have a major in the performing arts, which includes the following disciplines: theater, drama, comedy, music, dance, opera, marching bands, etc.
Part 1 – General Application
- Resume (3 pages maximum) detailing your academics, extracurricular activities, honors, employment, community service, and special skills.
- Recent photograph suitable for publication (i.e., a cap and gown picture, or other professional quality and professionally dressed photograph).
- TWO (2) electronically submitted letters of recommendation. We suggest one come from a community or public service leader (i.e. church leader, community leader, volunteer organization). The application provides instructions for your references to upload their letters.
Performing Arts Application
- PERSONAL STATEMENT: Please discuss your academic interests and/or professional goals and how you will use your art to make change in your community. (500 word maximum)
- This scholarship requires that you provide a sample of your creative work. Please include the URL address for your visual recording sample that is no more than TWO (2) minutes. Be sure to read the sample tips and requirements.
- Select an area under which your sample work will be reviewed based on your performance presented.
- If the area that best represents your sample work was not listed, please indicate.
For questions about the application process, please call (202) 263-2800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org