Blakemore Freeman Fellowships for Advanced Asian Language Study
Blakemore Freeman Fellowships are awarded for one year of full-time advanced language study in East or Southeast Asia, either in structured language or private tutorial programs, where the primary focus is on study of the modern language. Fellowships are awarded for study of the principal modern languages of East and Southeast Asia, including: Burmese, Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Malaysian, Thai, Tibetan, & Vietnamese. Applications for languages not commonly taught at American universities will be considered on an individual basis.
Advanced study is defined as a minimum of three academic years regular language study at the college level, or a minimum of one academic year of full-time intensive language study at the college-level, or proof of equivalent competency.
Blakemore Freeman Fellowships at a glance:
- Application is limited to US citizens or permanent residents who are bachelors degree recipients and are pursuing academic, professional or business careers that involve the regular use of a modern East or Southeast Asian language.
- Applicants with work experience who can demonstrate the applicability of an Asian language in their career have an advantage over applicants who are college seniors.
- Applicants do not need to be in graduate school.
- Superior candidates pursuing careers in fields such as academia, international business, accounting, law, medicine, STEM (science, technology, engineering, math), journalism, architecture, teaching, social or NGO work, and government service are encouraged to apply.
due at 5 pm: Thursday, December 30, 2021
Application is limited to US citizens or permanent residents who are bachelors degree recipients and are pursuing academic, professional or business careers that involve the regular use of a modern East or Southeast Asian language. Applicants with work experience who can demonstrate the applicability of an Asian language in their career have an advantage over applicants who are college seniors.
Applications are submitted directly to the Foundation via their online application portal: https://blakemorefoundation.communityforce.com/Login.aspx
- a list of all classes or training you have undertaken in your chosen language
- a list of any academic or professional honors you have been awarded
- a curriculum vitae or resume
- a personal essay detailing your career path and goals, as well as explaining your interest in the Asian language your are studying
You will also need to ask two* professors or other professional contacts to write letters of recommendation on your behalf. We recommend that you contact your recommenders in advance of sending the automated request from the online application form.
*Refresher Grant applicants will only need one reference.