Atlas Corps English Teaching Fellowship
The Atlas Corps Teaching Fellowship is an English teaching opportunity for emerging professionals. The opportunities we offer are a collaboration between Atlas Corps, Heart for Change and Volunteers Colombia. The goal is to facilitate the development of a prosperous Colombia where children and youth have the opportunity to receive a high-quality bilingual education. It is Colombia’s largest bilingual program. In its first year, 350 Fellows taught alongside 1,050 Colombian teachers, strengthening English education for nearly 98,000 public high school students in 33 cities. Today Fellows teach English in 38 different Colombian cities.
Fellows learn leadership skills in an international context while inspiring English language skills in Colombian youth. Benefits of this prestigious fellowship program include a a living stipend, general and TEFL teacher training, ongoing professional development, and engagement in the global Atlas Corps network of over 500 leaders from 80+ countries.
Recruitment for invovlement in 1 of 2 programs is currently active:
- Secretary of Education in Bogotá, which allows fellows to co-teach in public schools in Colombia's capital of Bogotá
- Travel4Change (through Colombia’s Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism), which trains staff through programs specially designed for the sector that combines virtual and face-to-face education, especially in the field of tourism
- Teach and/or co-teach with a local Colombia English instructor 25-30 hours per week of English instruction, including teaching, co-teaching, and conversation clubs
- Participate in a two-way learning process in about 15 hours per week to improve English proficiency, which may include administrative-related activities, such as lesson planning, meetings with fellow teachers, paperwork, etc.
- Attend local partners training days, schedule will coordinate with placement site.
- Develop reports and follow up processes, as the supervisor requires.
- Before arrival candidates must pay a $400 USD deposit, which will be returned to them upon successful completion of their contract.
- Applicants must pay for their own travel to and from Colombia and for their own interhnational health insurance.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- English language skills, as native language proficiency or equivalent
- Spanish language skills, at basic level or higher
- Interest in serving in an educational environment
- Age range between 21 to 50
1. Online Application: All applications need to be submitted online. The application consists of background information and a personal biography.
2. Review Process: Applications will be reviewed by the Selection Board. Atlas Corps and our partners in Colombia will both conduct Skype Interviews.
3. Visa Process: After being selected, candidates will receive information about how to apply for a TP-1 visa online.
- Participants will work at facilities throughout Colombia. Placement cities include: Bogotá, Medellín, Armenia, Manizales, Pereira, Ibagué, Cali, Cartagena, Barranquilla, Santa Marta, Villavicencio, Valledupar, Bucaramanga, Buga, Pasto, Popayán, Villa de Leyva, Neiva, Palmira, Itagui, Caldas and a number of small towns.
- Applicants will learn more about specific cities during the application process.