Dean's Fund for Undergraduate Research
Supports College students in scholarly mentored research and research conference presentation pursuits. Administered by the College Center for Research and Fellowships (CCRF).
The Dean's Fund for Undergraduate Research supports current undergraduates in the College in all majors engaged in scholarly research mentored by a faculty and/or other research mentor(s). It also supports conference travel if a student is attending to present a research poster or paper. You can only apply to one grant type and may only receive one Dean's Fund grant (of any type) over the course of your undegraduate career.
Please note the following are not undergraduate research activities: professional internships, externships, job or hospital shadowing, career treks, student activities, course practicums, long-essays produced for courses, any independent study undertaken without the direct supervision of a faculty research mentor, or adminstrative employment positions for departments, faculty, or labs.
Application Components for Undergraduate Research Project:
- Faculty or Research Mentor evaluation: You will need to provide the name and email for at least one faculty or other research mentor. Please confirm with your faculty or research mentor that they are willing to complete an emailed evaluation form on your behalf prior to submitting your application.
- Research Project Title
- Research Proposal Summary (3-5 sentences)
- Upload a Research Proposal (500 words max) that articulates:
The purpose of your project;
Your research mentor(s);
The location and structure of your proposed research; and
The intended learning outcomes and/or final product.
- Upload an Itemized Budget (1 page; 350 words max for narrative) detailing:
How you will spend the grant funding. NOTE: Budgets should not include wages for research work hours, but may detail needed expenses during research involvement period.
- Unofficial Transcript (please upload an unofficial copy from the registrar; do not submit a screen shot of your myuchicago record)
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) acknowledgment pertaining to research projects involving human subjects
Application Components for Research Conference-only Support:
- You will need to provide the name and contact details of at least one Faculty or Research Mentor who can affirm the viability of your project and the value of participating in the conference.
- Confirmation that if you are presenting work that is part of a larger research project, you have received permission to present the work publically from your research PI, faculty or mentor.
- Research Presentation/Project Title
- Brief statement about the value of presenting your work (3-5 sentences)
- Upload your Research Presentation Abstract (Posters or Oral presentations)
- Upload proof of conference acceptance
- Upload an Itemized Budget (1 page; 350 words max for narrative) detailing how you will spend the funds, including estimates for airfare, hotel accommodation and ground transportation.
- Applications for conference support only are accepted on a rolling basis. However, they must be submitted at least three weeks before conference travel begins.
- Applications for Undergraduate Research Project must be submitted by midnight on the quarterly deadline(s):
2020-2021 Academic Year
- Autumn: October 2020
- Winter: February 2021
- Spring: May 2021
Read more about the Dean's Fund for Undergraduate Research application process and apply here: https://deansfund.uchicago.edu/page/deans-fund-undergraduate-research-eligibility-and-application-guidelines
You may contact the CCRF at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.