American Heart Association, Founders Affiliate Undergraduate Student Summer Fellowship Program
The American Heart Association supports highly promising, undergraduate students for full-time research fellowships over a minimum of a ten-week period during the summer. The goal of this program is to encourage students to pursue careers in cardiovascular research. Research projects with broad relevance to cardiovascular biology and stroke will be considered. The research must be performed within the eight states of the Founders Affiliate region which includes Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont.
Minimum Qualifications and/or Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program at a four-year college or university (Please note: an MD granting program is not an undergraduate degree program) at the time of application submission.
- Maintained a cumulative GPA ³ 3.0, and have identified an established researcher to serve as a sponsor for the fellowship project.
- Must be classified at the sophomore, junior or senior academic status at the time of award application or may complete the fellowship immediately following graduation.
- Must be available for full-time research, and will receive the $5000 fellowship as a stipend.
- A final report of the project is due to the American Heart Association after the completion of the summer fellowship.
The student is expected to identify a sponsor with a research laboratory within the Founders Affiliate, and work closely with the sponsor to develop the research project and complete the fellowship application.
These are only available to eligible applicants in the following states: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont.
A complete application includes:
1) Typed application form with signatures of the student, sponsor, and an Administrative Official at the sponsor’s institute,
2) The sponsor’s CV plus a letter from the sponsor indicating support for the fellowship application, including a mentoring plan.
3) Official academic record of the student. (Official academic record should be sent directly to the AHA office by mail or email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
4) Two Faculty recommendation forms to be completed by faculty members/referees (letters of recommendation on institutional letterhead are also welcome) and should be sent directly to the AHA office or email to email@example.com
Items 1-2 can be submitted together as a single PDF document via email, and reference forms (letters with institutional letter head are optional) can be sent directly from the referee to the Founders Affiliate NYC office by postal mail, or via email. Recommendation form/letters submitted by email are acceptable only if they are signed (electronic signature or a scanned document with original signature). If the PDF application sent by email does not include signatures of the applicant, sponsor, and Administrative Official, a hard copy of the signature page must be submitted by postal mail. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Contact Bill Thompsen at 609.223.3752 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding application preparation or submission.
Application Deadline: February 4, 2020