Alfa Fellowship Program
The Alfa Fellowship Program is a distinguished professional development program placing accomplished young professionals in work assignments at leading organizations in the fields of business, economics, journalism, law, public policy, and related areas in Russia.
The program accepts up to 18 American, British, and German citizens per year. The program includes intensive Russian language training, seminar series, and extended professional experience. Fellows receive a monthly stipend, language training, coverage of all program-related travel costs, housing, and insurance.
The Alfa Fellowship Program aims to expand networks of American, British, German, and Russian professionals, develop greater intercultural understanding, and advance knowledge of Russia in the West.
The Alfa Fellowship Program endeavors to secure positions that meet the interests of both the fellows and host institutions. Fellows’ progress is closely monitored by the Fund for International Fellowships and Cultural Dialogue in Moscow.
The Alfa Fellowship Program includes the following provisions:
- Round-trip transportation to New York City or London and accommodation (if needed) for selection interviews
- Orientation seminar in Washington, D.C., including speakers, activities, travel, and accommodation
- Program-related transportation between U.S./U.K./Germany and Russia
- Pre-departure and Russia-based language training
- Moscow Seminar Program, including briefings, assignment planning, and excursions
- A generous monthly stipend during the program in Russia
- All program-related travel within Russia
- Accommodation in Moscow
- Limited international health, accident, and liability insurance during the program in Russia
Deadline: Thursday, November 15, 2018
Applicants must complete all components of the program, including the following:
- Four-month Russian language tutoring program in the U.S., U.K., or Germany
- Four-month Russian language course in Moscow
- Orientation seminar in Washington, D.C., with accommodation and roundtrip travel
- Housing in Moscow for the duration of the program
- Moscow seminar program
- Generous monthly stipend
- Three regional excursions throughout Russia and one to a neighboring country
- Limited international health, accident, and liability insurance
Candidates for the Alfa Fellowship Program must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- U.S., U.K., or German citizen between the ages of 25 and 35 (Russian citizens are ineligible to apply, including individuals who are also citizens of the United States, United Kingdom or Germany)
- Graduate degree and at least two years of relevant professional experience in business, economics, journalism, law, public policy or a related field.
- Candidates without a graduate degree completed or in progress must have an undergraduate degree and approximately 5-6 years of professional experience in their field.
The following characteristics are desired of applicants but not required:
- Active involvement in community or public service
- Russian language experience
The Alfa Fellowship Program online application must be submitted by 11:59PM EST on December 1 and all supporting documents must arrive by the same date. In order to gain access to the online application system, visit the opportunity's "Application Process" webpage and click "Apply Now".