Migrant Farmworker Baccalaureate Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial support to a deserving student with a history of migrating for employment in agriculture who has successfully completed one year of college. This support, up to a possible $20,000.00, will cover expenses beyond what the youth has been able to procure in federal/state and other scholarship assistance. This scholarship is designed to assist the youth in obtaining a baccalaureate degree without being encumbered by substantial debt.
This scholarship is made available through a generous endowment from a concerned individual for the education of children of migrant farmworkers.
Deadline: Sunday, July 1, 2018
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Recent history of movement for agricultural employment
- Scholastic achievement
- Financial need
- Successful completion of at least one year at an accredited post-secondary institution
A complete application consists of the following materials:
- Application form and checklist (found at http://migrant.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/mfb.pdf)
- three letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a school, community or educational agency representative with a personal knowledge of the applicant’s character and commitment to obtaining a baccalaureate degree
- a personal essay of at least 500 words telling about his/her background, career and personal goals, and indicating why he/she should receive this assistance
- a copy of college transcript showing the most recent grades obtained
- financial need documentation in the form of a copy of most recent income tax return of applicant or parents, a copy of school financial aid form, or loan documentation.
- a copy of the applicant’s most recent Migrant Education Certificate of Eligibility (COE)